Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! by Mo Willems


Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! was written and illustrated by Mo Willems.
Genre: Picture Book
Sub-genre: Fiction
Theme: Wanting to stay up late; This is a theme that is very appropriate for younger children. When I read this book, I felt like I was a young child begging to stay up late! I really empathized with Pigeon!
Primary and Secondary Characters: Pigeon was the main character and the man is a secondary character.
Awards: None
Publisher and Date of Publication: Hyperion Books for Children; 2006
 
Summary and Uses: This book is about a pigeon who wants to stay up later than his bedtime. The really cool thing about the book is that the man at the beginning "leaves" pigeon in the reader's care. As you read the story, the pigeon tries to convince you to let him stay up later. He makes hilarious points while trying to get his way. The best part about this book was the way I really related to pigeon! I almost wanted to jump in and let him stay up late! In my classroom, I would tell the students to think of something that they really want to do, like stay at a friend's house or eat ice cream before dinner. I would then ask them to make arguments that they would pitch to their parents.

0 comments:

Post a Comment