Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Uptown by Bryan Collier

Uptown was written and illustrated by Bryan Collier.
Genre: Picture Book
Sub-genre: Children’s Fiction
Theme: Poetry and Rhymes
Primary and Secondary Characters: The young boy. (His name is never mentioned.)
Awards:Coretta Scott King Award
Publisher and Date of Publication: Henry Holt and Company; 2000
 
Summary and Uses:  This book follows a boy around the sights of Harlem. It takes up to 125th street, all the way to Apollo Theater. The art work enriches this book. It makes it feel like you are really taking a tour of Uptown. I would keep this book in my classroom for students learning and enjoyment purposes. I could read this story out loud to my students as well. I would place the book on the document camera so the students could see the art work better and pay attention to the details. I would use this to introduce different places we live. This book would be great in a rural community school where the students have little to no idea what city life is like.

0 comments:

Post a Comment